Dooring in Vattis.

Good evening Mother!!
Wow, it really does sound like you had an insane week! But also a good one. Seminary sounds like a really enriching experience, and a testimony builder for sure. I like knowing that you have a similar experience with Seminary that I have with my mission. :) Good job in the Tennis tourney, like always! 

Elder Bowman!  From the MTC, now my companion.
I wish i had lots of time to email, but Elder Bowman and I are running on a pretty tight schedule today. :( I'll try to update you on everything exciting going on here in the last week!
So Elder Bowman and I have been smashing it out here in Chur, and we have some big plans!! One thing I've had to learn on my mission is how to not just make plans, but follow up with them. We've set some hefty goals to get our minds and bodies focused on the work the Lord has set out for us, and strengthen ourselves in the Gospel the best way we can. We'll be really busy these next few weeks. :)

Elder Johnson found a minion costume in attic, so of course...

Transfers were crazy this week, and made our schedule super tough to follow, but we've been doing all we can to operate at maximum capacity. Working with Elder Bowman is a blast. Having someone I knew before is really great actually!! We don't have to spend any time figuring each other out and we can just get right into the work! He's a champion, and we have lot's of fun. 



We went dooring in this little Dorf this week called: Vättis. It was lot's of fun! Everyone in the place was either super friendly or super mean... While we were there, we discovered that everyone in the town was called: Kohler. You think it's only in movies, where there's towns where everyone is related to eachother... Nope!! There it is! It was super weird! After dooring almost the whole place, we found one man who accepted the invitation to read the Book of Mormon. He accepted the book after we talked about his relationship to Jesus Christ. He said he believed in him, but wasn't really a church going man. We told him about Moroni's promise and he took a copy of the Book. Who knows if we'll see him again, but i like to think he'll at least run into missionaries sometime in the future :) 
 
I found Guarana!  Dad's favorite drink from his mission in Brazil.
We had a great lesson with Johannes and taught him about the Plan of Salvation, having found out that his best friend was just killed in his home country. He was very broken up about it, but we were able to talk about the Hope the Gospel brings and share with him pieces of the plan through our seemingly large language barrier. It's amazing to see someone just feel the comfort of the Gospel right before our eyes, and see it give them hope. We will be meeting with him tonight to follow up on what he's learned, and extend an invitation to learn more about it. 
 

It's interesting. I've learned a lot this week about the importance of Study and Prayer. There were days this week where we were so busy, we didn't really have time for ourselves to study the scriptures, and I neglected my personal prayers. The result is a feeling I can only describe as a lack of energy, and less confidence in myself and our work. I also struggle to think about what I've learned these past two days, and in what ways I have become closer to my Savior. These were huge stumbling blocks for me this week, and they are every time it occurs. I've found that I cannot let anything compromise my personal time with God and my Savior during prayer and personal study. If I do, It's much harder to feel the guidance of the Holy Ghost and recognize God's hand in my life from day to day. 
 
chess after dinner.  I won.
This week I was reading in Mosiah 18:8-10. In these verses, Alma was baptizing those who wanted to enter into the covenant. In these verses, he describes the baptismal covenant to them, and charges them to keep it as they learn. In the end of the verses he reveals the purpose of the covenant. He says that if we serve and keep his commandments, he will pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon us.
 
On the drive to an investigators house.
 
This really is the purpose of God's commandments. His commandments are designed to help us learn habits and develop qualities that help us live the best life we possibly can. It is the way he lives his life. In essence, the commandments teach us the Godly way of life, and when we live this way, we are naturally blessed with a Godly abundance of the spirit. But the most important part is that we live this life happily. Peacefully. Lovingly. Without the desire, all the commandments go to waste. I testify that when we live the commandments, including those involving loving others, we will have the Spirit more abundantly in our own lives. I've seen it in my life, and I've seen it in the lives of those I meet and grow to love on my mission. Good examples and bad. 

Driving amidst the peaks.


I love you Mom, and hope you have a wonderful week. I wish I could write more, but time doesn't permit. I love you, and am happy to know that God is blessing your lives as much as he blesses mine :) Have a great week!
-Tanner
P.S. I'm glad you mentioned the CD :) it's actually traveling around the mission. People have been sharing it with each other and stuff! I guess they like it :)

Comments

Popular Posts