In love with Germany and missionary life

Hey MOMO and FAM!

How's it going? Your week sounds very exciting, and I'm glad to hear things are still going somewhat smoothly :) sounds like you and Sky had a fun trip together goin up to Idaho, and I'll pray for your safe return. Thanks for the update mom! I love the pictures and I love hearing about all the exciting adventures you're having back home. Things are going great here.


Goofing off at the Roman ruins.
So this week has been very exciting! Lots of miracles, soul searching, and hard work. And the best part? I loved it all. In case you're wondering about the subject of my email, it's not like that xD.  (It was titled "I'm in Love!") This week something happened that I wasn't expecting to happen for a while.
We were walking back to the apartment in the evening one day, and we had just gotten out of a wonderful lesson with a new investigator. There was soft music playing somewhere close by, and the sun was setting behind a beautiful cloudscape, with a perfect breeze floating down the road against our faces as we walked. We weren't talking, just enjoying the walk. I felt different that day. And I couldn't place it until that moment. I looked around at the trees. The sight of the people walking home around us made me smile, and gave me a warm feeling in my heart. I wanted to laugh. I felt so peaceful.

I am grateful to announce that I have finally, completely, gladly fallen in love with Germany. I've fallen in love with the people. With the food. With the air, and the land before me. I've fallen in love with the little winding roads, and the ridiculous traffic regulations. The people are my family. My heavenly family. From the wealthy
politician to the crazy lady in the house next to us that shouts at everyone in Arabic. They are all family. And I am so grateful that I can get to know so many in the next two years.

I just want to express my gratitude for the opportunity I have to serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, AND experience all of the wonderful diversities Germany has to offer at the same time. There's no comparison, and no replacement to the joy of sharing the gospel.

Mom and Dad, thank you for placing this opportunity before me. Rachel, Skylar and Gracie, thank you for the love and support.

With the familie Starr

If there is only one thing I know for certain on this beautiful earth, it's that this gospel is true. All of it. This church is Gods church on the earth. It was made by him, and restored by him in these latter days. If I could, I'd have you look into my eyes and see my
conviction. There is no doubt. There is no fear. There is only Jesus Christ, and his plan for me. And you. If I told you that I knew the church was true before I left, it would've been a lie. I believed. But I believe no more. I know. No stumbling block, trial, or offense will
ever persuade me otherwise. Because it is simple and it is the truth, and EVERYTHING on this earth points to that truth. Every testimony, every trial, every miracle, and every breath testifies that Jesus is the Christ, and that he restored his church through the prophet Joseph Smith. He gave us back the authority to obtain salvation, and we have
that today. When I entered the mission field I thought I understood my purpose, but I didn't. I still don't, but I'm starting to. Jesus said ye shall know them by their fruits, and I have tasted thereof. I have tasted a little bit of the fruit of this gospel, and I can tell you it
is indeed more desirable than any other fruit. I give you this testimony, as an assurance that I will never give up. I will never break, or waver. I will stand as a witness, and stand as a part of this sure foundation. And I hope Satan and his angels can feel the
power of your faith and tremble before it. As missionaries, the gates of hell shake when we bear our testimonies. It is the same for you. Share it. If God wants you to serve a mission, serve one. I give you that in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ, amen.

So... Now I can get to all the exciting things that happened this week!

 
With the familie Pfafinger

A couple miracles for this week...
1. We were at a less active members house and he asked for a blessing. He then chose me to give the blessing. In GERMAN. I had no clue how to do it! Nonetheless we laid our hands upon his head and gave him a blessing. I struggled through the German, but finished. It was a fairly normal blessing, nothing too specific. But as he turned to face
me, this old man was smiling ear to ear, and he had tears in his eyes. He shook my hand and thanked me. He told me that he had been praying to know if he had been a good father to his children. His children were no longer active, and he felt he had failed. He felt there was nothing more he could do. But he said that when I gave him the blessing, I told him that "he had been a wonderful father, and had done his best, and that his Heavenly Father is proud of him for his accomplishments in fatherhood." He told me he was very grateful for that, and it was exactly what he needed to hear. I immediately met eyes with my companion, and we shared a confused look. I had not in reality at any time said anything of the sort during the blessing. I did not say a thing about fatherhood or anything close. But that is what he needed to hear, and the Lord provided. It was truly a miracle.

Beautiful lake
 2. We've been teaching this investigator for a while, who is struggling to develop a testimony. I've written about him before. He has become someone very dear to me since I've been here. He has a nice family, and is a very good man. When we first met him, he had lots of pride. He was very well off. He thought he knew enough, and had
enough, and didn't need much else. He was open to discussion, but didn't see a reason to need God. But since then, his Life has become a downward spiral of financial problems, work problems, and family tension. Over the last few weeks he has transformed. He is exhausted. He is stressed. But he is humble. And now he is finally listening. He
knows he needs help, but for the last week he still hasn't tried very hard to find the truth in our words. He didn't read or pray about the Book of Mormon. He didn't come to church. We were in some sort of limbo. But this last weekend, everything changed. He needed help finishing his basement bathroom so he could rent it out to someone. We have a member in our ward who is a plumber, but also likes doing plumbing service for people with out pay. He came with us this last Saturday and helped him install the bathtub and some other things.

He had us work outside while he and Brother Bulla worked on the bathroom. When we were finished outside, we came in and what we found was mind blowing. We walked into the basement and got hammered by the spirit. We came in to find Brother Bulla bearing his testimony, and our investigator listening very intently. He spoke about every way the
gospel and church has helped him, and testified that it was the only true church. He said that the missionaries are not here to convert people, they are merely inviting people to come into Christ. The church is true, and the choice is up to you... Wow. His testimony was so strong, and our investigator (His name is Thomas) just listened intently the whole time. After he finished, they just got right back to work like nothing happened. Afterwards, Brother Bulla left, and we sat down to talk to Thomas. Before we could say anything, Thomas started talking excitedly. He said that everything we had been trying
to teach him just clicked when Brother Bulla started talking. It just made sense. We found out that Thomas had actually started the conversation, by asking Brother Bulla if he was a Mormon! He then asked him what it's like to be a member. Wow! He communicated to us
what he learned, including how to find out if the church was true, and he committed to find out. Then, if that wasn't enough, he came to church the next day! That was a huge surprise! It was testimony meeting, and the testimonies borne were so strong and pure, and Thomas was just soaking it all in! He even stayed for Sunday school, where we
talked about the plan of salvation. He had to leave afterwards, but communicated his satisfaction to us about what he had heard. We have another meeting this Saturday, where we plan to invite him once more to be baptized. It was a miracle.

Random cool stuff!

Yesterday we were eating at a members house, and Brother Huonker got talking about how there are Roman ruins in our area. Then after dinner, he took us there! We got to walk on 1800 year old remains of Roman forts and buildings, and it was just so cool. The bricks and stones were still standing! It was very cool, and the area around it was very beautiful. There was a big lake and lots of trees and grass. It reminded me a lot of the Columbia river shore back home. Lots of sail boats and paddle boats going around. You would've loved it, dad.
At the ruins with the daughter of familie Huonker

 You seriously have to come pick me up after my mission because I want to go around and show you EVERYTHING. I want to take you to all my areas and meet the members and investigators and all that.


So my trainer is getting transferred next Wednesday (probably) because he's been here for four transfers already and he's done training me. But we've also found out that there's a very slight chance that I might be transferred as well, and they might send out SISTERS in our area! Whoo! I'll let you know what's happening next Monday. Also, I'm gonna try to send you all something within the next week, so be on the lookout for some packages! (You too, Rach, but I'm gonna need your address).

But yeah, this week has been fantastic. I've tried lots of food! We had this rice stuff with meat and pineapple and onions and some kind of sauce, it was amazing. We had homemade spetzle and snitzel. We also got asked on the street if my companion and I were married. Lol.

Anyway, it was great! And if there's any good way to describe how I'm feeling, it's this. I want you all to sit down together and listen to a song together ok? It's called "Today is the Day (feat. David Osmund" by the "Nashville tribute band" it's exactly how I've been feeling this week. Just listen to it together and imagine me out here as a missionary. Pretty epic.

We tried to climb the Münster again! Again I only made it a little more than halfway. I don't think it's something I can conquer xD but I enjoy sitting down afterwards!

Climbed the Munster again
Things are great with my companion. The closer we get to transfer day, the crazier it's getting! I'll miss him a lot. He's been a really hard worker and a very good friend. Physically, I'm doing well as well. Lots of working out, and lots of hard service projects are keeping me in pretty good shape. It gets easier every day :)

Our schedule last week
Well family, I'm glad to here from you. I'm a little short on time so I hope this will suffice. I will send pictures! I love you all so much, and I miss you dearly. Here's praying for another good week for you all. I'll work hard to make it happen.
All of us emailing from the diner.
Love you! -Tanner

Comments

Popular Posts