Stinky cheese...not fond of it.

From May 2...

Hi Mom! 

It is absolutely insane that I have been out for a year!! It hasn't even set in yet, and I don't think it will until another six months are already past. At least that's what Elder Bowman and I think XD. To me it's all flown by. I don't remember a time yet where things were slow... I've heard being on a mission is like traveling across the roof of a house. The first six months are like climbing up the side, the next six are like walking up the uphill side to the point, the next six months are like walking down the slope on the other side, and the last six months are when you fall off the side of the building. And then you're kind of broken for a while and don't know how things work back on solid ground. 


Me and Elder Bowman

Anyways, thank you for your motherly advice. It is always the absolute best Mom, no joke. You and Dad just solved my problems. :) it was exactly what I needed to hear, and I've had an amazing week this week. My testimony has been strengthened to a capacity to which I didn't believe was possible. I've been blessed with much more understanding as to what direction I'm headed as a missionary. It's been amazing. :) my studies have been much better, and I've been feeling less deflated. My personal prayers have also improved a lot, as I've tried harder to take more time to pray, rather that just say a prayer. That makes a huge difference. It's interesting, sometimes as a missionary we tell so many people how prayer and scripture study help, but then sometimes forget to do our best at it ourselves. Satan is silly. 


This week was amazing! I tried some new food! Had some new experiences, and have been working hard. :) sorry about the last few pdays having really short emails. Usually there's just a lot to do in the day. We have work time we have to get in, plus time for cleaning and shopping. The last few ones, we've had some early appointments and events that made it hard to get all our emailing time in. Speaking of which, last week on Pday we got to go to Austria to buy less expensive food! (We get to do that once a month :) and man i must've been such a good, non-rebellious child, because I was SO NERVOUS.
 I discovered that it was illegal to take meat into Switzerland (it's more than doubled price here), and we had lots of meat! Hence the subject. I was so nervous, and Elder Bowman was making so much fun of me for it. I think I even prayed that we wouldn't be stopped! We weren't, like expected. It all went well. It was nice to spend under 100 euro/Franken for food again! Even if we spent about 90 in our hoard of foods for the coming month. If you're gonna go all the way to Austria to save money on food, you might as well buy as much as you can. 

Haha also, that was AWESOME that you found our apartment on google! So funny :) that's definitely it right there! But that picture was taken before the missionaries lived there. There's no picture of Jesus in the window ;) we sometimes eat food and study out in the little garden outside. 

I've actually been very good with working out lately! I've been doing P90X every day! I'm so sore... but it's really worth it. I wanted to ask you if you knew any good fat-burning workouts I could do in the apartment, because P90X is making me really muscular, but I'm still not burning the fat on my stomach -_- any tips? It's frustrating. I'm also trying to eat healthier, and I feel much better. I don't think I've actually stuffed myself in a long time. I've just been eating until I'm satisfied. It makes me feel like I have more self control. 

Also... GUESS WHO HASNT BITTEN HIS NAILS IN ABOUT 4 WEEKS?? This kid! I've accomplished it! Now I have long nails on my fingers... and it feels so weird. It feels like there's always something on my fingers. I mean... there is. But it's like they're not supposed to be there. I guess it has been years. In any case, I can now flip open the charging port on our phone and any other small containers all by myself! 
 
I have nails!!
 I ate something interesting his week! It was assorted cheeses from Paris. It was disgusting though... it's probably the worst thing I've eaten on my mission. It also smelled really bad, to which Brother Szvoboda replied: all good cheeses stink. (I don't agree) but it was horrible, and It was a huge plate... i don't doubt it was "good cheese" but it was a horrible experience for me... haha. So the cheese is not good in Paris! Luckily, he also made us some delicious Rindsbraten. (You can look that up) 
 
Smelly cheese that I am not fond of.
We also did a service project this week where we received yet more stinky cheese in appreciation, but this one was a DOOZY. I could not believe the smell that penetrated my nasal privacy as Elder Bowmen opened the package. Wa. It was unbelievable. I didn't try any, but he did. He said it wasn't bad, but I'm convinced that was just a hoax to make me try the cheese. It didn't work >:D 
 
He can have it.
 
Also, had some great lessons this week! We had an awesome one with Johannes, but he didn't come to church :( we still haven't figured out why. But Shareef came again! It was amazing, and he had a great time. He loves coming. But afterwards he sadly informed us that he didn't have permission to stay in the country and had 15 days to leave. We shared some tender moments, and he told me how thankful he was that we shared this knowledge with him. I know he will find the whole way someday, if he keeps reading. He loves the church, and is developing a real relationship with his Savior. There's also a ward in Lebanon, I figured out! So it'll be ok if he has to go back. :) I got his email so we could stay in contact. Still sad about it, but happy I got to know him. He's coming to church one more time before he leaves, and we're throwing him a party. 

Our German class is growing RAPIDLY. We had about three Somalians come to our first class, and they said they'd come again. The next week each of them brought a friend. The last class we had had like 10-12 Somalians all new to the country! At the end they always say: Thank you, my Teacher. They are awesome and so funny! I call them and they say: "Aaaaah! Hello, my Teacher!" It's hilarious. I look forward to their progress with the language. I have to teach them from English and google translate some Somalian, but it's better than what they're currently getting (nothing). 

On the way home from an appointment we had the opportunity to see something really cool that will take Dad back to his mission. :) they have here in our area a replica of the statue of Christ from Brazil, about 11 meters tall. It was awesome, and gave off a very cool spirit, so we naturally had to take pictures with it. :) 



Haha yeah Chur really is that small. We live pretty much on the edge, and it only takes 20-30 minutes by foot to get to the suburbs on the other side. I'm going to freak out when I come home because all these little cities are like this, and America will just feel way too big. 
 
 

Overall I've had a wonderful week, and would like to leave with you a spiritual thought from something I learned this week. Elder Bowman and I had a discussion about the Holy Ghost and prayer after reading about it in Preach My Gospel, and we talked about how we are the only church that encourages its members to not only ask questions, but to ask of God. Many churches encourage their members to ask their preacher or pastor for enlightenment and explanation for doctrinal concerns, but our advice is always to go back to the source. This is the whole reason our church started, was from a question. This is because we believe in a God who is not silent, but speaks today. How amazing is that? We receive direct revelation from a God who loves us and speaks to us! Not only that, but that is the only way you become a member of His church, is if you first receive this witness from Him. That is incredibly amazing. I relive this process of asking and receiving daily, and it never ceases to be awe-inspiring. It is always just as impactful. We can never take this opportunity for granted. We always have to take advantage of this gift, and use it daily. Ask as many questions as possible. It is my everlasting testimony that these prayers are answered according to our faith. Always. And my faith is unwavering on this point. 
 


Thanks for the great advice and help, Mom. I love you and pray for you all day and night. I feel your prayers and your help. It strengthens me and helps me stand tall as we do our best to go out and share this Gospel to every willing ear and open heart. I love what I do. I love God. I love my Savior. Thanks for teaching me of his goodness in my youth, and providing me the stable foundation I needed to come out here it pay it forward. 

I love you, and hope you have a wonderful week. :)

Comments

Popular Posts