Erkenntnis kind of knowledge.

From August 1, 2017:


Hey Mom! 

There is Sunshine in my Soul Today!
I don't know why, but that song has been stuck in my head all week. Maybe because we haven't had any sunshine and I'm trying to be optimistic. ;) jk. We finally had sunshine today, but all week has been super rainy and stormy, just like last week. This week is supposed to be a little hotter it seems. We'll see what happens. 
Went hiking.

Im doing great! And I'm glad to hear you're doing good as well. My week was full of crazy adventures. :) Poopi the pug is owned by a member. 

I don't have much time today (at least right now) but I'll do my best to answer your questions and let you know how things have been going. :) 

The apartment we live in is super nice, big, and new. :) I love it. And it was clean when I got here! We actually live in the Bishop's house. (He's a bro) we have a nice big bathroom, and my bed is super comfy. It's been really nice. Elder Lukas also keeps things pretty clean. 
 
 

This week we were out talking to people on the street (for a really long time) and we saw a member and went up and talked to him. His name is Jakob, and he's a super cool YSA who's sadly moving soon. We talked with him and he invited us to lunch! Guess where we went?? An American Restaurant! :D i was so stoked. We got some huge burgers, and had a great time. That was something new I tried this week. 

We got thrown out of another house this week! We had to go by on a referral from a member in a small town called Telfs, and the wife answered the door. She was very nice, but uninterested. We chatted for a little while, and then offered an invitation to a concert that's happening in the church in a couple weeks. Then her husband came to the door. He walked past his wife, got in my face and told us to leave and get off his property. We tried getting him to calm down, but we wasn't listening to anything we said, and kept talking over us. We were trying to explain the Konzert invitation, but he ripped it out of Elder Lukas's hand and threatened to throw us out physically. (He was in no condition to do that) he crumpled the invitation, and kept telling us to leave. His wife tried to protest but he pushed her back in the house. Great guy. We decided to just leave. He pushed us on the way off his porch. 
What amazes me about this story is that such people we encounter always claim to be Christian. This story has a good ending though. After that we were pretty worn out, but still had a couple hours of knocking on doors ahead of us. Before we went on, we said a prayer. I testify of the power of prayer. A feeling of peace entered my heart and as we knocked on the next few doors, we felt confident and found some nice people. 
 
Prayer will change the night to day, I promise. 
 
 

As we were finding one day, I was talking to a lady in front of a cafe. Her back was to the cafe, and as I talked to her I noticed behind her a group of rougher looking middle aged men staring at us, drinking alcohol, and smirking. As the leader of this group and I made eye contact, he said loud enough for me to hear: "Es gibt keinen Gott." Which means: "There is no God." As he said his, his friends started to laugh. At the start, my heart sank as I heard this. I felt sad, and stupid, because I was being laughed at. But almost as soon as I had those thoughts, another thought entered my mind with more power than the words he had spoken. The words said: "They are wrong, I am here." In that moment, a feeling of joy and peace entered my heart, and I stood a little taller. I knew those men were wrong, and so I just returned his gaze and smiled. I know not only that God exists, but that He lives. He loves us. This man probably had quite an interesting life. He's probably not happy. But I am. I am because I know that God lives. The contrast of our attitudes and the quality of our lives is enough evidence to me that He is there. Because He loves us, he has happiness and indescribable joy waiting for us, even in the deepest moments of our afflictions and trials. 
 
 

This knowledge is precious. It's interesting. In German, there are two words for "knowledge." "Kenntnis" and "Erkenntnis." "Kenntnis" is the kind of knowledge you get by reading something. Like reading a manual. After reading a manual to build a bicycle, for example, you have the "Kenntnis." You have the knowledge of how it should work. But through following through and building the bicycle, we receive "Erkenntnis." Erkenntnis comes through experience. It's basically knowledge received by applying learned concepts. I testify that the knowledge we receive through the Gospel is an "Erkenntnis" kind of Knowledge. It is proactive, and only comes through our application of the principles we learn. And I testify that it is through this process that I know God lives. I have searched for Him. I have done my best to follow him. But we have to keep applying it. 

And yeah! My week has been great. :) we've found some really really cool people that we've become really good friends with and have some actual interest for our message! I can't explain all of em, but we got Nola, Tom (from England), Laura, Katrina, Maria, Sophia, Mohammad, and Petra. And they're all super cool. 

As for you

guys... I miss the beach! And five crowns. :) but I'll get to go again someday. That stinks that the Tillamook factory was closed! Bummer. But it sounds like you made the best out of a trip even though there was a lot of wind and stuff.  Seminary is starting soon, huh? I know you'll do an amazing job. You always have and always do. :) im not worried for you. 
 
 

I can't believe I'm turning 21 soon! Time certainly flies. And it's my last birthday on the mission o_o gah! I certainly feel much older than when I left. Ive definitely learned quite a bit, to say the least. I've realized that you don't lose any qualities on a mission, they just get better. :) I still love all the things I loved at home, but my attitude and perspective has changed so much. 

Anyways, I gotta go Mom. :) I love you so much. You're my favorite mother, by far. ;) miss you! Until next week! 

Tanner

Comments

Popular Posts