Finding and hiking.

From Nov 8, 2017:
 
Hi Mom! :) 

The snow finally hit the ground, huh?? Woop! I think it'll be a pretty cold Christmas. We haven't had any snow in the valleys here yet, but we have loads of it just a few hundred feet up in elevation on the mountains. It's pretty early here, for it to get that close. 



So I talked to President Brown last week over Skype (so nice to have something like that) and it was really refreshing. I really needed it. I just kind of told him honestly and openly how I've been feeling lately and he was really helpful. He said: well Elder Larson, it's good you tell me about this... because it's a problem I can definitely help you with. The two options he came up with were to either put me with a more capable and independent companion that could help me by sharing a bit of the social load, or to have me work in the office. I've never wanted to work in the office on my mission, but I think I'd be ok with it if that's what he decides is best. I'd probably be the best office elder ever ;) just kidding. I do know my way around the kind of things they do there though. We'll see. Either way, I think it was triggered by me feeling like too much was depending on me, and I have no pauses in the social aspect of things. Either way, I think I'm managing. :) I got faith! Thank you for your prayers. 




Im sorry things are pretty stressful, Mom. I know how you feel, trust me. Sometimes we face challenges or problems that we feel are outside our sphere of ability. Faith helps, though. Our Savior has worked through and solved all of our problems before, and we have faith in Him. He helps. Your prayers are powerful help, and I'm sure Skylar and everyone else feels your support. It'll get better. 

I'll definitely miss Thanksgiving this year. The likelihood is that we won't have the opportunity like we did last year. I got pretty lucky. :) we'll find some small way to celebrate it ourselves. But I'll probably be in another area by the time it rolls around. I'm probably leaving next week! We'll see what happens though. I find out on Saturday. I think preparing seminary is very similar to preparing missionary work. I feel the same kind of stress when I'm preparing and thinking about a lesson, but afterwards (most of the time) I feel like I was spiritually uplifted, and I am grateful for the opportunity. 




You'll do great with the music for the Christmas Program! You've always done a great job with that kind of stuff. I'm glad the ward is recognizing your talent and abilities that we've always benefited from. ;) 

Also, thanks for helping the missionaries. Sometimes we are awkward at expressing appreciation or thanks as missionaries, but I know every single missionary deeply appreciates that kind of help. You're awesome, Mom! 
 
 

As for happenings this week, I experienced my first earthquake!! We had a 3.9 earthquake in Innsbruck, with the epicenter just a few miles away! We were in the church building at the time, and the whole building shook pretty hard! The ground too. It was pretty short, but really bizarre and kind of freaky! They're still not quite sure what caused it, because there's not a known fault line here. 


Today a bird hit our window! That happens a lot, but usually they fly away. This one didn't! He hit the window and fell down onto our patio! I leaped from my chair and went outside. What did I find? A cute little bird lying motionless on the ground! It's little eyes were closed and it was still breathing. So what did i do? I picked it up. (Of course) with a paper towel, and held It! He just lied there in the paper towel in my hands. I was waiting for him to wake up... when all of a sudden, his little eyes slowly opened... and he let out his last little breath at the same time. That sweet little bird just passed away in my hands... I don't know why this kind of stuff always happens to me. 
-_- But it does. I wanted to cry, and it just made me sad. So that was quite a start to the day! I don't know why I've always been so sensitive about stuff like that.



Now onto the good stuff. Our friend Jonah made the decision to be baptized, and his two friends (who are inactive members) have decided to come back to church! It's a slow and painful road for them, but they are making their way slowly. They're humbling themselves and doing their best to help each other on the way. There's already been such a change in all three of them. After their decision to come back, it's been so much easier to connect to them. Jonah will be baptized on the 23 of December. 
 
An awesome friend we found on the street.
 
So lately I've been reading in the Book: Church History in the Fulness of Time, and I love it. There's just so much to appreciate in the church's beginnings and in Joseph Smith's story. It's amazing to see the different challenges and trials that even the early saints and leaders of the church had to experience. There was a lot of unease and unsureness. They didn't have a lot of resources to work with like we do today. They had to receive everything line upon line, precept upon precept, in a very literal sense. Lots of saints had many questions for the Prophet that he couldn't answer, at least not until he asked the Lord. When he asked Heavenly Father, revelations were dictated. I think it's interesting that he seldom received any great revelations until he asked. I think Heavenly Father knows when we're ready. Some people wonder why God doesn't just give us everything we need to know immediately. I think the answer is that we are not ready for something until we think and have the desire to ask for it. It's a lot like Jesus's sermon to His Apostles after His resurrection. He revealed that he had other sheep he would visit, and failed to mention or even give a clue to who he was talking about. Who were the other sheep?? In His sermon to the Nephites, he explained that he withheld the information from His disciples in Jerusalem not because it was a secret, but because they did not ask for clarification. God's patterns appear everywhere in the scriptures. Maybe we miss out on some things because we fail to ask. It's also comforting to know that even great prophets like Joseph Smith and others made pretty significant mistakes sometimes. It wasn't smooth sailing. 
 
"finding" Mickey!

I take comfort in my mistakes. My mistakes and my weaknesses renew my dependence on my Savior and my trust in Him. I'm just grateful for the Atonement and the opportunity I have to depend on it, even if I can't ever deserve or earn it. That's the reality. We can't deserve the Atonement, but that's ok. It's free for those that want it and learn and abide by its conditions. This Gospel brings a light into my life that can never be replaced. Anyone who's felt it can never deny it, not honestly. 
 
Well I love you Mom. :) thanks for the good long letter. I'm grateful for you and your prayers for me. I miss you always and can't wait to be with you again. I pray for you too. 

Love, Elder Tanner Larson

Comments

Popular Posts